This blog was brought about by one and ONLY one thing - BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE.

Join my journey as a young housewife in another country armed only with limited articles of clothing and a good sense of practicality against the ever-changing four seasons. My personal challenge is to survive a year with just the things I came with. Emergency clothes purchases should not go above $10.

Help me by following my blog and holding me accountable on this self-imposed challenge.

Timer starts now!

2/19/2011

bijoux de kate

I started making accessories on the last quarter of 2006. I accidentally discovered that I had a penchant for making baubles, when, after a Disney event, I had nothing to do at the office and saw excess materials from an arts and crafts activity we did for the kids on that weekend. I tinkered on it and tried to make friendship bracelets for everybody! I enjoyed myself so much that by Saturday I found myself rushing to Quiapo (where they sell the most affordable tools and materials -from noose to pearls for jewelry making). It was such a stress-buster for me and it kept me distracted from problems at work, I was so relaxed that I even filed for VLs just to spend more time making more necklaces, earrings and bracelets!




A movie, person or a season would inspire me. Later on, I decided to put it up in multiply for online retail. It did not disappoint. I would have customers email me for prices and custom designs. By 2008, I joined my first bazaar along with friends and because of its price and one-off designs, it did more than I expected.




I was not able to bring my tools with me when I went to Canberra, the boxes were just too heavy and would eat up my entire baggage allowance. If I had extra resources I would have my tools sent over in a balikbayan box (amongst other things-- clothes mostly) because I also found out that there's a very limited supply of raw materials here at high retail price.




I miss creating with my hands, this is what this post is all about.

On this post are some of my favorite pieces.








No comments:

Post a Comment